July 6, 2010

A Funny But Serious Message - What's Your Brimmel?

Today’s post is short and sweet (and will hopefully give you a giggle and a lesson at the same time).

At the moment I’m in the middle of writing a story for a great friend. Being a person who gets huge “kicks” out of helping others I totally love writing this story and whilst maintaining a fairytale tone, I’m jam packing it full of fun, thought provoking life lessons. Honestly, this story could be read to a kid of 4 or a grandma of 70+. The last time I wrote a story was in primary school… no wait… I’m sure I had to write stories in high school too… the subject “English” was totally NOT my forte during that period of my schooling.

Back to my point! I’m writing this story for one friend, right, and there are many old and/or wise animal characters in this book who teach a young robin huge lessons in life. Last night as I was chatting to a different friend she asked what I’d been up to and I told her I was writing a story. Now, this particular friend and I go way back to university days and in those days I used to read my essays out loud to her as a means to proof read. It came naturally to me, therefore, to read the story (well, the half that is written) to her to proof read.

She listened as I read out loud and after telling her my plans for the upcoming characters, and their names she exclaimed “Brimmel! What sort of name is that… it’s like a toilet brush cleaner brand name! Let’s wash the toilet with our BRIMmel!!” and then she roared with laughter! Now, whilst I “get” that Brimmel is different from “Sebastian, Benjamous and Sabella, who are other characters in the story, I still personally love the name Brimmel. I suits the goanna. I love it. I’m not changing it. She giggled more… and I thanked for giving me the idea for a fabulous blog post!

So who or what is your Toilet Brush Cleaner?

What’s your Brimmel?

My personal Brimmel is that I’m 29 years old, I’m self employed with two businesses after giving up my safe, secure job that was unsatisfying and unfulfilling (and really not allowing me to fulfill my purpose in life – to lead, inspire, motivate and change). Sure quitting a job and becoming self employed wasn’t exactly EASY… but I’m a butt load happier knowing I’m in complete control of my results in life now.

I like my Brimmel. I like it a lot… and I’m not changing the name ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Liz
    Well what is my Brimmel? Well according to my beloved wife I am an old Fart, Internet marketer and Adventurer and am also keen to help people live to be their very best. I run a part time marketing and coaching business.Have lived in many countries all over the world my 2 favourite destinations are Nepal and New Zealand.Iam also addicted to Coffee. By the way not quite sure about the name "Brimmel" Nice post.

    ReplyDelete